You know that movie “He’s Just Not That Into You”?
Well this website is about to turn into “He’s Just Not That Into Real Estate”.
Don’t worry, I still believe it is a phenomenal investment and the best way to build wealth for anyone young with enough time to be patient.
But after a couple months without a new article, it’s time to reevaluate the direction of this website and how I can best help people like you!
What I Originally Thought
- I believe through my own research and experience that rental properties are a really powerful way to build wealth.
- I believe most people don’t really know it is an option for them. It’s not for everyone, but it should at least be considered. Through sharing my own experience, there is the potential to have a big impact on a few people’s lives.
- So I’ll build a website to start getting my thoughts out there. Then in about 9 months when I actually start adding more properties, there will be a lot to write about “live” and already a small audience.
What Actually Happened
Fast forward to September 2017 and I feel the need to rethink things.
- I still believe through my own research and experience that rental properties are a really powerful way to build wealth.
- I still believe most people don’t really know it is an option for them. It’s not for everyone, but it should at least be considered. Through sharing my own experience, there is the potential to have a big impact on a few people’s lives.
- I have a website with a lot of thoughts out there and a growing audience. The actions I made on my portfolio and wrote about so far are purchasing an umbrella insurance policy, cash out refinance on property #1, and putting property #3 under contract.
- The “here is what I did”, how-to articles are my least favorite to write. And even though there has been some action, there really isn’t enough to have it be a major focal point or differentiator from other information out there. The biggest impact has been actual conversations with people, not one way information posts. From now on, this will be my focus.
Comments on articles are the conversations that people see. But no matter how enticing I make it, many readers will never leave a comment. It is just not something they do.
I’ve been surprised by my real life friends wanting to discuss real estate investing now as well. They knew I had a couple rental properties, and even before this website could have asked my about them, but didn’t. If I can positively impact my friend’s financial lives, that is a huge win (although I am a little concerned that market timing has the potential for them to have a bad experience and not stick with it).
There have also been conversations with people I previously didn’t know over the phone, email, Skype, and in person. I’ve found many of these to be high impact as well.
What’s This All Mean?
There are going to be several changes to Rental Mindset moving forward:
- More “Why” and big thinking articles (broadening into general finance and self-improvement, not just rental property investing), less “How To” and “Here’s What Happened”
- Cover the “Here’s What Happened” with a short monthly update
- Get my face and personality out there more so people can decide “yes, this is someone I’d be interested in talking to” or not
- Get people on the email list to be “in the club” and connect directly with those people (over email, phone, video chat)
- When one-on-one becomes too much, figure out groups, webinars, masterminds, etc.
Here’s How You Can Help
Let me know the type of people you think would be most valuable to connect with – investors in a similar position or people who are a few steps ahead of you. I’ll start working that into the long-term plans for Rental Mindset.
Not a comment person? Shoot an email to Brian @ the website name.
Let’s get to know each other a bit better and I’ll do my best to help you move your goals forward, whether property #1 or way beyond.